“Cultivation to the mind is as necessary as food to the body.” ~ Marcus Tullius Cicero
The past few days have been hectic but for no particular reason. Ever have those kinds of days where you do LOTS of NOTHING and by the end of the day, you’re exhausted but feel you didn’t get anything worthwhile accomplished? Made me long for the peace and serenity of Hawaii.
I can’t wait for Spring and am tired of making the same old meals every day. Checking the fridge I found lots of fresh veggies just calling out to me. I usually don’t buy such a variety, since it’s only the two of us now and I’m the only one who really eats vegetables. But I’m very happy I had them on hand.
These meals were healthy, tasty, satisfying and best of all, easy to make.
Egg White, Spinach and Mushroom Omelet
· 3 egg whites
· 1 tbsp skim milk
· ½ tsp Italian herbs (or your choice)
· Freshly ground black pepper
· 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
· ¼ cup sliced fresh mushrooms
· 1 tbsp reduced-fat cheese, shredded (I used Sargento Low Fat 4-Cheese Italian; can also substitute Parmesan if desired.)
1. Whisk egg whites, milk and herbs together in a small bowl.
2. Spray small skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium heat.
3. Add mushrooms to pan and sauté 1-2 minutes. Add spinach.
4. As soon as spinach begins to wilt, pour egg white mixture over vegetables.
5. When edges of mixture begin to set, lift sides and gently tilt skillet to allow remaining liquid to flow underneath.
6. When egg white mixture is fully cooked, sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
7. Fold omelet in half and serve immediately.
Avocado and Tuna Salad
· 1 avocado
· 1 can ( 5oz.) tuna in water, drained
· 2 cups romaine lettuce
· 6 grape tomatoes, halved
· 1 cup sliced, peeled cucumber
· 2 hard-boiled egg whites, sliced
· 1 peeled carrot, grated or julienned
· ½ lemon, squeezed, juice
· 2 tbsp. lite honey mustard dressing
1. Slice avocado, remove pit and scoop contents into small bowl. Add drained tuna and blend both together with fork.
2. Add tomatoes, cucumber, hard-boiled egg whites and carrots over lettuce.
3. Mound avocado and tuna mixture on top.
4. Sprinkle lemon juice and dressing over top as desired.
Enough for 2 servings.
I hope you try one of these for your next meal. They’re a nice change and make me eager for Spring! Bon Appetit!